Lenten forms 2

First "finished," but second Lenten forms quilt that I'm deciding is actually done. I finished the free-motion quilting some time ago on this quilt, but as I kept looking at it on the wall it seemed as if the quilting was taking away from the overall large composition, so I took out my seam ripper and got to work.

I used several manipulations of the fabric after initial printing for this quilt. The large yellow circle was discharged using a Dharma discharge paste (that they no longer carry) activated by heat (sunlight or iron). To get the aqua lines down the center of the quilt I used a flour resist dyeing technique on only the central portion of the quilt.


flour resist applied to quilt top
turquoise dye applied over flour resist
 This is the quilt with most of the free-motion stitching done. You can see the tree or root-like free motion stitching that goes all across the one end of the quilt. This was the part that bothered me, so I ended up removing all the roots that didn't start inside the black fabric. I love the simpler quilting and am finally calli
extra stitching to remove: parallel lines and roots to the left
Here is the finished quilt, called "Infrastructure 2" nestled into my side garden alongside my driveway and with a few others in the series.
"Infrastructure 2"

Forms of Lent quilts

See all six Lenten Forms 2016 in the Lenten Forms 1-6 post.


Comments

Popular Posts