dyeing and printing large and graphic fabric

As I enjoy creating larger quilts, I need larger pieces of fabric.

This year for Lent I chose to create 16x16" quilts (bigger than the 12x12" quilts from last year). My goal was to lean into creating and not worry about finishing anything, but to explore printing expansive fabric. (Good thing ... I'm just beginning to finish some of the quilt tops!) Interwoven with this I am using collage to create quilt tops, overprinting and discharging the tops at times.

flour resist layers
 I used flour resist over existing fabric and to add texture. A challenge was to get bold enough without getting too bold.




Alternatively it is always useful to have low volume fabrics with just enough texture.



Wanting even bolder designs I've been using a paint brush for more graphic circles - a theme I've been exploring as part of my "infrastructure" thinking. It is amazing how much of what we take for granted runs through pipes and wires.


Many of these fabrics are still waiting for overprinting to create some additional texture and complexity to the designs.


Overprinting and dye removal together can also add interesting texture. This fabric is showing up in a couple of the quilts I'm working on.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts