lenten twelves #4

The challenge of having a vision in your head and trying to make it visible can sometimes be rough! I had this image in my head of a quilt with subtle colors, but then using thread in the composition to add pops of color to the tree bark…the idea of dormancy, but life always at the surface waiting to burst out.

lenten twelves 4
Subtle quilt, check. Thread with pops of color - yikes! I started with the black, great! Add green, ok. Add light teal, boring but almost impossible to seam rip out. Add pink, coral, turquoise, purple, all nice, but not quite where I was headed in my minds eye. Note to self - START with brighter colors.

thread play

plus hand quilting for fun!
I added some hand quilting to add texture and a bit of color. In the end, I'm enjoying lenten twelves 4, but I would fix the composition and thread colors for a more dynamic quilt. The snow is almost gone in Michigan, but it is still cold, and only a few winter aconite and snow drops are peeking out.

lenten twelves 1-4
Above are my first four lenten quilt reflections. My lenten twelves onelenten twelves 2, and lenten twelves 3 posts show the first three quilts in more detail. And lenten five is on my design board!

My daughter Kelsey and I are quilting 12" quilts each week in Lent to feast into creativity (and fasting from those voices of doubt). You can see Kelsey's lenten twelves 1, lenten twelves 2, lenten twelves 3, and lenten twelves 4 on her blog at Lovely & Enough or on Instagram with #lententwelves.

Comments

  1. I love reading your thought process, and your four look so great together! You should hang them in the hallway instead of the cousins photos when you're all done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them, they're so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts