lenten twelves #1

One of my goals for myself has been to enjoy my creative side as a gift from God that I should use well. In the season of Lent sometimes Christians talk about fasting from and feasting into. This Lent I'm feasting into creativity, hopefully with one 12" Lenten reflection quilt every week. My daughter Kelsey is feasting into this same discipline of being creative within a 12" square. You can see her first lenten twelve here. I picked my palette of fabrics and here is my first reflection.

lenten twelves #1

free motion quilting

stack for 12" quilts in lent

lenten twelves #1
We are still buried in snow in Michigan, but I braved the 10 degree weather (windchill -6) to shoot this photo. The sunshine was sparkling off the snow.

Note: I don't have a theme in mind for my Lenten Twelves, partially so I actually create something every week, instead of letting the negative voices in my head stop me! That being said, I decided to use as backgrounds a piece of fabric that I dyed with my mom several years back … it starts in the gentle grays and browns (above), but shades into deeper browns and reds. The base fabric has a winter feel, but this week's reflection to me has a sense of renewal, hints of a seed, the cycle of growth, and almost the sense of a nest. One of the wonderful things about life is that we are never to old to change and grow. (Growth seems to go in cycles, and I'm finding myself in a spot right now where I am realizing just how much I have learned and grown. God has placed me in a spot where I am uniquely gifted to contribute, and I'm not only thankful but also finding the courage to use my growth.)

Comments

  1. This is beautiful! I love the idea of feasting into creativity during Lent. It is wonderful that you are doing it with your daughter, too. I found your blog through Kelsey's post, and look forward to seeing your Lenten reflections via twelves!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts