Stash busting quilting

Our family is a sewing family. My grandma was a seamstress and excelled at upholstery. My mom sewed our clothes growing up. Me, well I avoided sewing class. I couldn't be bothered with finicky sewing. When my daughter Kelsey wanted to learn how to sew, we found a class at the The Quilting Season and Kelsey enjoyed making this quilt. Her grandma became her expert sewing consultant.

Kelsey's first quilt
Then I took a class in art quilting from Sue Holdaway-Heys and found a sewing niche that I could enjoy. Trekking to various fabric stores with me, my daughters enjoyed picking up their own fat quarters while mom was shopping for fabric. Fast forward ten years and they have impressive fabric stashes, but maybe not quite to their taste as young women. This summer both daughters were home and we started a quilt from their stashes. With the healthy infusion of more low volume fabrics, we sat down over Thanksgiving and I asked everyone to design one 12.5x12.5 block for me. A couple of hours later and some excellent conversation later we had this taped to our dining room wall. Wow!

Thanksgiving weekend designing
 More strips, more blocks, and voila!

the daughters with the finished quilt top
all wrapped up
ready to sandwich
We had a blast putting this together and I can't wait to get it finished. It is destined for someone special who I'm sure will enjoy all these fabrics that Kelsey and Taylor picked out so long ago.

Comments

  1. Awww such a great story :) I didn't know we had a picture of my with my first quilt! The charity quilt looks really great, Mom. Thanks for pushing us to do it over Thankgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts