Lenten form 3

Infrastructure 3: Discharge + Define

This quilt top was made up of two different fabrics that I printed. The outer fabric was dyed rust and overprinted using a rubbing technique over strips of foam that had circles cut out of them. The inner fabric was dyed yellow, then a flour resist was applied, and I dyed it dark gray. I used a discharge medium that is heat activated to define the overall circle. Below you can see the first iteration ... it took several to get the final result as I'm a novice at the discharge game!
pieced and in progress quilt tops on the design board; lower left quilt top with first discharge

the final discharge result & almost done quilting


and complete!

the discharged section and quilting up close and personal
The free-motion quilting was a challenge around the circle. In the end, by using fairly graphic colors that stayed with the discharge patterns I set up a nice flow around the circle. I embellished the outer edge a bit to draw the circle out, using a navy color thread in the lower left corner to contrast with brick red color I was sewing on.

Lots of energy and interesting color in this piece - Infrastructure 3. I see a contrast between pipes with unnoticed flow and a large conduit of rushing storm water or maybe even a storm pattern.

See all six Lenten Forms 2016 in the Lenten Forms 1-6 post.

Comments

Popular Posts