Screen printing

Saturday morning I dove into screen printing with some help from my daughter Taylor. I used painting on fabric interfacing to create the screen (in "Screen Printing: Layering textiles with colour, texture & imagery" by Claire Benn & Leslie Morgan). I painted the screen using the pretty yellow sample from Taylor's walls.

creating the screen

screen printing in progress
This kind of screen took a while to saturate with print paste, but by the end of a sample piece of fabric I had the hang of printing the design. Interestingly, I chose an interfacing from my box of scraps that had a regular circular pattern of dots rather than the unstructured diagonal fibers. This meant that with thick print paste the design has tiny specks of non-color! The colors look reasonably bold when wet, but once they dried they were rather quiet.

final results and a work in progress
The final results are even more subtle, and the design seems a little sparse. Taylor was printing with red this morning, so the designs under plastic are a few more tries at different printing patterns.

Still pondering if I want to try a little bit more this afternoon ....

Comments

Popular Posts