Forms of Lent

This year for the season of Lent, I'm choosing to fast from the inclination to always be doing something useful (even when sewing), and feasting into moments of being creative just because God created me to create. Last year my daughter Kelsey and I created space for creativity and sewed a new 12" quilt each week, see Kelsey's Twelves and my Lenten Twelves.  This year more family members are joining in, with photography and 3D modeling in the mix.

I wasn't exactly sure what I might do when Lent started on Ash Wednesday. However, I'm really trying to create just for fun. So, I pulled a set of fabrics I liked from my collection of hand dyed and printed fabrics. I needed more low volume fabrics and fabrics with bigger patterns, so I mixed up dye and started in. The fabric on the right with the subtle khaki brush pattern is from the first set of printing.

  


Second layer of flour resist dyeing is on the printing table right now, can't wait to see them tomorrow!

  

The design wall has seen multiple layouts in progress .....


I'm hoping to play with design scale, layering, and color removal. The yellow circle and subtle circle on the burgundy are from color removal. I'm working on removing more color from the burgundy. 

I decided to work with 16" squares this time; not sure how many I'll finish, but I'm having fun with the printing, sewing, and overprinting. I'm thinking that next I might play with layers of resist on pieced squares.



Comments

Popular Posts