Zimsum

I like poems that make me think, explicate my beliefs, challenge the rote answers, and wonder. This post from MinEmergent (I get their daily thought emails) is one that I want to come back to this week.....more than once.  The thought that "there is the opportunity for real hope to break in" is one I have been pondering. How does it happen? How am I a part? Where should my strength come from? Where do I find my balance in the duality that I am enough and yet can lean into God?
ZIMSUM
Terry L. Chapman 

God Is In Control
Really?
No matter how many times
I hear these words 
there is a voice,
that with convincing whisper,
insists this is faux hope.
Some, in order to live
as if this is the rock on
which the castle of their faith is built 
remain vigilantly poised on the parapet 
summoning the hope they learned in Sunday School
 that the siege of life's demons
might be held back
by making the confession over and over- 
God is in control
God is in control
God is in control
as if by its very repetition it 
might become true
and at last the weapons of 
this spiritual warfare can be 
but back in the armory-

God is in control
God is in control
God is in control!
Hoping against all hope
that it is true-the unimaginable 
betrayal that it isn't.
To say so is to turn your back on all
that is right, and true and american-
sinking into the abyss unbelief. 

God is not in control.

There, I said it.
Now in the letting go of these
shackles that, unimaginably,
restrict God's freedom,
God's wild, beautiful, terrible
intention to create a free world,
there is an opening created
for real hope to break in-
real hope
that all that is is in God
in whom we live and move and have being.
And not just us but the other too.
And not just the other but the whole cosmos
in God has being.

Real hope is
that God bears all-
that all is in the womb of God-
that out of this space-in-God
the new is being born
and in the fullness of time
God will be all in all 
and there will no longer
be any need to believe
God is in control.
 http://www.facebook.com/EmergentVillage

Comments

Popular Posts